Police checks are a part of daily life, with many jobs and volunteer roles requiring them prior to employment and throughout the term of employment. Before the employment contract is signed, background checks must be conducted expeditiously and comprehensively so that the hiring process is not interrupted and the background of the possible employee is fully understood.
Historically, police checks were conducted by a lengthy mail process; but, with the advent of internet verification technologies, this procedure has been shortened to enable faster results without compromising accuracy.
The police check VIC cover all other states and territories, as well as the Federal Police database; however, a recent change to Victorian law means that minor past offenses will no longer appear on your police check. Therefore, while severe offenses will remain available to potential employers, a speeding ticket from years ago will no longer be apparent.
Police checks in VIC will reveal the following legal matters: pending matters awaiting trial, charges, court convictions (with penalty and/or sentence), guilty findings without conviction, and good behaviour bonds or other court orders.
Police checks in VIC must always be done by an organization accredited by the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC). Results are often provided within a day, however checks for individuals with popular names may take longer. Additional checks are necessary to ensure that the record does not contain any other person’s information.
Police checks in VIC are acceptable for all job and volunteer purposes. If you need a check for visa or immigration purposes, you must obtain it directly through the Australian Federal Police.
How To Obtain A Police Check
To complete an online national police check application, you must give basic information and pay the application fee.
What’s required to apply:
- Personal information such as your birthplace and identity documents (your names must match on each document)
- Addresses of all residences occupied within the past five years, payment by credit or debit card, and a smartphone for the ID check are required.
The following identification documents will be required:
You must present at least three documents, including a photo ID.
We require a minimum of two of the following:
- Australian birth registration
- Canadian passport (current or expired less than three years ago)
- Australian driving permit (current)
- Foreign passport (linked to a valid Australian visa)
- ImmiCard marriage certificate in Australia
- Australian citizenship documentation
And 1 of the subsequent:
- Medicare card Australian driver licence
- How it works:
- Complete the online registration form
- Cover the application fee
- Email delivery of your national police check certificate
Police Examine Disputes And Other Issues
The procedure of conducting a police check may reveal specific facts. If you think the information released to be inaccurate, you have the option to contest it. Determine what criminal background information can and cannot be disclosed.